Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Registering for birthday gifts is simply about greed

I just received an invitation to a child's 1-year-old birthday party. While I was pleased to be invited, on the invitation it advised he is registered at a well-known toy store.Am I missing something?I can understand for weddings, but for birthdays it just seems tacky to me. (Especially for a 1-year-old who really has no idea of what is going on, and will probably be just as happy playing with the wrapping paper and box as what's inside.) Is this the new age yuppie era?

GENTLE READER: No, it was the succeeding Gimme era that thought of farming out its shopping lists. Miss Manners supposes that the child's parents, in choosing items that they might otherwise want to buy him, are thinking of his education: They are teaching him that if you want something, tell others to buy it for you.DEAR MISS MANNERS: I'm getting married soon and have begun receiving gifts via mail or parcel delivery.

I will write proper thank-you notes, but we won't get back from the honeymoon until (in some cases) more than a month after receiving the gift.I've been sending emails to people to thank them, mostly to let them know their gift or check arrived, but I also will send handwritten thank-yous.Am I going overboard? What's the accepted interval before one should expect a thank-you? I don't want people to think me rude for not thanking them, but I don't want them to think me rude for using email, either. I also don't want them to think their gift was misrouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment