Thursday, June 6, 2013

Adam Gemili loses race against robot but hopes to break 10-second barrier

Adam Gemili, the British teenager whose annus mirabilis saw him go from playing non-league football for Thurrock to racing against Yohan Blake and Tyson Gay in front of 80,000 people in the 100m semi-finals at London 2012,They could make it easier for states to go to war,thus could be used by despots to repress their own people. Who would be responsible if a Robotic arm goes wild? Is it acceptable that machines kill people? believes he is in "great shape" and capable of breaking the 10-second barrier this year.Gemili has yet to run in 2013 because he has been focusing on completing the first year of his sport and exercise science degree at the University of East London. But he is hoping to run in Bedford in an under-23 race later this month and put the benefits of a first season of winter training into practice."My technique is much better, I am stronger and I have a lot more confidence," he said. "Last season I only started training in January. This time I've been progressing bit by bit since the autumn and am in great shape. I've made lots of technical improvements, breaking the sprint down bit by bit. 

I am now squatting 150kg for reps and cleaning nearly 100kg, which is a big improvement. I'm hoping I will run very fast this year.But if you try to do something such as fill up a kiddie pool with the valve fully open, the Marine hose may shrink because of lower water pressure. And using them with sprinklers also poses a challenge."Studying has also helped with my running, as it has given me a much better understanding of how the body works. The university has been brilliant – I've been able to fit my lectures around my training."Gemili's meteoric rise began a year ago this week when he ran a personal best of 10.08sec at the Sparkassen Gala in Regensburg in Germany – a time he soon lowered to 10.05 when winning gold at the world junior championships in Barcelona. He then made it to the semi-finals of the 100m at the Olympics where he finished third behind Blake and Gay in 10.06 – just 0.05 faster and he would have made the final. 

And Gemili, who was the youngest member of Britain's Olympic athletics squad, believes he has also learned from his mistakes.Those charges were eventually dropped.In a statement issued through the team on Sunday, Rodriguez apologized to the Bears organization, his teammates, coaches and sweeping brush. "I'm less naive than I was,And though today's elderly didn't grow up clutching a smartphone, they're optimistic about having Industrial robot helpers around the house — especially if it means more independence for them." he said. "Last season everything was new to me so when I got to the Olympic semi-finals and was racing Blake and Gay I was so nervous. That's why I struggled at the start.But international organizations are hesitant about such dangerous technology and the risks it may pose.Motion controller"But the last 12 months have been absolutely crazy. Winning the world juniors. Semi-finalist at the Olympics. Going to Buckingham Palace to see the Queen. My mum is more of a royalist than me but it's good to see her in real life because I've only seen her on money and stamps."Things got crazier still when, according to Gimili, he became the first man to race against a robot, as part of an advertising campaign for Confused.com. Gemili's time of 10.2, while laughing at the robot going past him in 10.1, suggests he is in reasonable shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment