Thursday, April 12, 2012

The lost art of the handwritten thank-you note

I recently had a conversation with a friend whose child did something beyond nice with love and time spent on a project. I mentioned “did you write a thank you note?” The response was “no but I could send a text.” Really? We all can do better than that. My kids still have the handwritten notes that I sent them almost a year ago displayed in their room. My kids also have the handwritten notes that they have received from teachers as well. Kids know how special a handwritten note is from a parent or teacher. Now we just need to take the time to make it happen.

My oldest is graduating from high school this spring and when I ordered his graduation announcements I also ordered thank you notes. Can I tell you how many thank you notes I received last year from the graduation gifts and money I gave? Maybe 1 out of 10? Sadly, parents, this begins at home. I am as guilty as the next person in “forcing” my children to write thank you notes to family after they are given a gift. Or worse yet, forgetting to “force” them to write those notes. But graduation is that time in life where you learn the art of the handwritten thank you note. If our children don't learn it by the time they leave high school … when will they?

I have also started in my business to send handwritten notes. I tell myself that I cannot deposit the client's check until the note is written. This is great motivation to get the notes written. I have other business owners that send me handwritten notes and I think it is a great personal touch. It really shows me that they are taking the extra time to thank me. My CPA will even laminate an article when I am in the paper and give it to me. Now that is going the extra mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment